By now you should have listed enough of your skills, hobbies and interests because that is what we will be needing to determine, which topic you will be writing about in your new blog. As I mentioned in Choosing a Profitable Niche Topic to Blog About (Part 1), to choose the right, long term and profitable niche to blog about, you need these three elements – Skills, Hobbies and Interests. Now, we are going to point all these three elements into one and start our blog around it.
Your Passion in The Topic
We’ve gotten a list of skills, hobbies and what interest us, but we need to understand something and that is PASSION. Do you have passion for it? You might choose Computer Repairs as your skill, but do you have interest in it, do you have passion about it? Do you love doing it? It is important not to choose a skill, hobby or interest if you do not enjoy doing it.
Popularity of the Topic
You can have all the skills, hobbies and interests in the world, but if nobody else shares your interest, you will find it so hard to build a successful blog. However, among those lists you have, there will be one or two that is popular. The one that large number of people will be interested in and one that has some level of demand for content. This is important because you should look for a topic that large number of people will be interested in, passionate about and want to learn more. There are unlimited number of these topics that might be among your list, find them yourself.
There are several ways to do a research in other to determine which one is popular or not.
Make use of Google Trends (www.google.com/trends) to do some searches about your list.
Observed the most advertise services or products on the media in your locale. If someone can be spending so much on advertisement over a particular product or service, that means it makes sense.
Make use of keyword tools to determine how many searches are been done per month and their CPC.
Mind the Competition
One of the fatal mistakes most beginners make is failing to understand the influence of competition in a potential niche. It is important to determine the competition of a particular niche you wish to blog about because, there might have been some powerful sites in that niche. Although, this should not stop you from exploring a niche you believe you are going to be successful in, you should be prepared to work hard to meet your target.
Is The Niche Long-Term and Profitable?
If it’s a goal to make money from your blog then you’ll want to assess the potential for profit before you start and this brings long-term into play. For a business to succeed, it must be a long-term business. Make sure you chose an ever-green niche. Do not chose a niche that is seasonal or a niche that can die down any time soon.
How Do I Know a Niche Is Profitable?
There are different ways to determine whether a niche will be profitable or not.
1. Google Adwords: Do a research on Google.com with your niche keyword and you will find some ads at the top and right-side of the search results. This shows you if any advertisers are actively targeting those keywords. This is handy to know if you’re planning on running AdSense on your blog. It will also be handy to check out who is advertising as they could be potential direct sponsors of your site. The other useful thing to note is whether any of the ads are for products that have affiliate opportunities as they could be products you could promote as an affiliate.
2. Affiliate Products: Check popular affiliate networks like Clickbank, Commission Junctioan, etc to see if they have products that tally with your choosen niche. You can also do a simple search with ‘your keyword affiliate program’ to see if there are any promotions going on.
3. eBook and Training: Choose a niche that you can compile into ebooks or training. For example, if you choose bead making, you can write an ebook on ‘How to Make Beautiful Beads for Wedding Ceremony’.
4. Adwords Analysis: Check the Adwords Keyword Tool to determine if there are advertisers targeting your niche. Knowing this alone can go a long way.
5. Spy on Your Competitors: Check on your competitors to see what and how they are doing. See how they are monetizing and making money on their blog.
The list is indefinite. You can go on to see other means in which you can determine whether a particular niche is profitable or not.
What If I Don’t Have Any Skills, Hobbies or Interest to Pick From?
Well, you just must have one at least, but if you can not find any one that can be a long term and profitable niche, you can choose to leave the ‘blog for passion’ and embrace the ‘passion to blog’ world.
Here’s what I mean; you can go ahead to choose a topic, then have the passion to learn it and teach others about what you’ve learned. See below for some popular suggested topics to choose from:
- Your favorites (could be pets, foods, etc)
- Home appliances
- College humor
- Preparing for an interview
- Finding your dream job
- And so much more…
Just think outside of the box. Think about what you last searched for on Google. If you searched for it, thousands of people are also searching for that same information you are looking for. Learn about it, teach others so they can benefit from your blog also and in the long run, you make money from it.
To choose a long term, profitable niche to blog about, you need to know your skills, passion, interests, and hobbies. Point down to one that is more interesting and profitable. Consider your competitors and your target audience. Then start your blog around it, put up original and unique content, drive traffic and start making your money.
Do you have a different opinion, feed back or want to share your experience with us, use the comment box. We love comments, let’s hear from you.
If You're a Man Above 25 Years this Article is For You