Many typist have find it difficult in using shortcut keys on the keyboard because some did not know these keys and also did not know how they work to bring out function. It is known that anything pressed on the keyboard will make an effect on the program in the computer either positively or negatively.
Keyboard is one of the part of computer. It is a flat key control part of computer system. This is used mainly for typing or inputting data into the computer system.
Keyboard have different keys they are combined together to make it one. These are as follows:
1. Function key
2. Numeric key
3. Alphabetical key
4. Window key
5. Symbol key
1. Function key: This is part of the keyboard that are pressed together with other key to bring out a particular function. E.g. F1-F12, Control key, Shift key and ALT key, etc.
2. Numeric keys: These are the ones that are numbered from zero (0) to nine (9) used mainly in calculation and entering of numbers.
3. Alphabetical keys: These are the keys that work most on the whole keyboard. They rang from A-Z on the keyboard
4. Window keys: These are the keys used to switch within the window, e.g. arrow keys, page up and down key, escape key, etc.
5. Symbol keys: They are either press with other keys to get a certain function or press alone e.g. bracket (), comma, etc.
The Control Key
This key is pressed together to get a particular function. Some of the examples are as follows:
1. Ctrl + A = highlight or select all text and object in the screen
2. Ctrl + B = to bold text
3. Ctrl + C = to copy text
4. Ctrl + D = to bring out font dialogue box and to duplicate object
5. Ctrl + E = to centralize text
6. Ctrl + F = to bring out find dialogue box
7. Ctrl + G = to locate a particular page
8. Ctrl + H = to display find and replace dialogue box
9. Ctrl + I = to italicize
10. Ctrl + J = to justify text
11. Ctrl + K = to insert hyperlink
12. Ctrl + L = to align text left
13. Ctrl + M = to control the text indent
14. Ctrl + N = to open new document
15. Ctrl + O = to open existing document
16. Ctrl + P = to bring out printing dialogue box
17. Ctrl + Q = use to remove numbering from text
18. Ctrl + R = to align text right
19. Ctrl + S = to save document
20. Ctrl + T = is use to control the ruler
21. Ctrl + U = to underline text
22. Ctrl + V = to paste copied object or text
23. Ctrl + W = to close the document in the window
24. Ctrl + X = to cut text or object
25. Ctrl + Y = to redo work
26. Ctrl + Z = to undo work
27. Ctrl + page up = to switch to the beginning of a particular work
28. Ctrl + page down= switch to the end of a particular work
29. Ctrl + Enter = to go to a new page
30. Ctrl + backspace = delete a word
31. Ctrl + arrow key = to move to the next or previous word.
NOTE: These shortcuts can be used on all versions of MS Word such as Microsoft Word 2003, 2007, 2010, etc.
There are still several key combinations that give shortcut to a particular function in Microsoft Office Word, but I will stop here today. Other popular shortcut keys will come up in my next article.
If you have some other shortcuts that can be used in MS Word and not listed above, why don’t you share with us below.