The attitude of some of my blog commenters led me to write about this post. I observed that most of my blog commenters only leave comments without a gravatar. Today, I will be writing on what a gravatar is, why you should use gravatar in your blog commenting and how to get a gravatar for your blog commenting.
First, What is a Gravatar?
Gravatar (Globally Recognized Avatar), created by Tom Werner, is an icon of a user in a shared virtual reality, such as forums, chat, websites or blogs, in which the user wish to have something to distinguish themselves from other users. It is usually an 80px by 80px image that the users have to create themselves and use across the web. A gravatar is usually encrypted to the user’s email address.
As you can see in the image above, I already have my own gravatar. Anywhere you see my comments on blogs, you will see that image behind my name. And also, the 2 commenters you are seeing in the image made a comment on this blog (SOJblog.com) and they have their own gravatars. Isn’t that looking nice?
Why Did I Need a Gravatar?
Why gravatar is not a compulsory tools in the blogging community, it is a necessity. There are several reasons you need to start using a gravatar (if you have not started yet) but all I have to say are:
1. Using a gravatar in blog commenting makes you a professional at what you do.
2. It connotes you are not a comment spammer.
3. It means you are a serious commenter.
4. It gives you a brand on the blogging world because everyone will start to recognize you with your gravatar and
5. Using a gravatar is just a nice thing.
Now How Can I Get My Own Gravatar for Blog Commenting?
That is a good question. Well, without wasting any more time, let us go straight to how to acquire a personal picture or image or gravatar for yourself.
1. Get an image or your own personal picture of about 80x80px.
2. Go to www.gravatar.com
3. Enter your email address in the box provided.
4. You will receive a confirmation email including a link that will activate your account and allow you to set your password. Follow the instructions and get your password.
5. Then log in and upload your picture or the image you wish to use.
6. That is all.
If that is successful, your picture or image will show up behind every comments you made in any blog so far you use the same email address you sign up with in gravatar.com in the comment.
Did you like this post, then endeavor to spread the news. Share it with your facebook friends, your twitter followers and your Google+ circles, they will appreciate it.
If you do not want to miss any of my interesting post in the future, why don’t you drop your email below.