There are various devices you can use in connecting upto 5 different wireless devices to the internet. I have written about a free way to do this with a free software called Connectify. You can check it out here: How to Make Your PC a WLAN Hotspot Using Connectify. But today, I will be sharing with you a new device by MTN called MTN MiFi.
MiFi, according to MTN Nigeria, is a portable WiFi device that allows users connect up to five WiFi enabled devices such as Laptops, Tablets, Phones and other such devices simultaneously to the internet.
This means, if you have this device, you can connect upto 5 wireless-enabled devices to the internet altogether at the same time. The MTN MiFi works at a distance of up to 10m or 30 ft and it cost N25, 000 as at the time of writing this post. The MTN MiFi can be used in 2 ways, either in USB Mode (connected to your PC) or in WiFi mode (connecting up to 5 WiFi enabled devices).
How to Use the MTN MiFi Device
Using this device is very easy and simple. Follow the steps below to get started:
1. Insert your SIM Card via the SIM card slot opening at the back of the device
2. Connect the device to your PC with the data cable that comes with your MTN MiFi device
3. Then power on the device. You can do this by pressing and holding the power button until the light comes up
4. The modem will auto-install once it is powered on because it is ‘plug and play. And if the auto install does not work, you can launch it by going to Computer, and then MiFi folder, then double-click the Setup Icon and wait for the software to install
5. If successful, it will bring up a successful message.
How to Use Your MTN MiFi in USB Mode
This method is useful if you want to make use of the MTN MiFi as a USB modem to connect just your own PC to the internet. Follow the step below to connect your MTN MiFi device in USB mode:
1. Double-click the MTN MiFi icon on your Desktop
2. Then on the interface, enter your Login Password, which by default is admin. Note that it is advisable to change this password for security purposes.
3. Recharge and activate any data plan from the Subscription page on the Interface. To activate, you can also send the appropriate keyword by SMS.
4. Once you receive a success message for the data plan, you can then go on to browse the internet.
How to Use Your MTN MiFi in Wireless (Wi-Fi) Mode
This method is useful if you want to use this device to connect more than one devices. E.g. if you want to connect two laptops so they can browse the internet. Remember, you can connect upto 5 devices that are WiFi enabled. So to connect your MTN MiFi in Wi-Fi mode, follow these steps:
1. After you must have subscribe to a data plan, connect the device with your PC
2. Power on the device
3. Then turn on the Wi-Fi on your computer or device
4. Search for available wireless networks in range
5. Then select the one you want to connect and connect it to the MTN MiFi E58305
6. The other device on the other end will now be connect to the internet.
NOTE: If Password/Key is required, it is printed behind the device.
How to Activate the Free MTN MiFi Bundle
If you are buying MTN MiFi device, you will also get a free 5GB of data, which is valid for 1 month. To activate this free data bundle, follow these steps:
1. Launch the MTN MiFi icon from your computer or start your Internet browser and enter http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
2. Type the Login Password: default password is admin (you are advised to change this password to prevent for security reasons).
3. Click on SMS at the top of the screen and send an SMS with keyword MIFI to 131.
4. You will receive an acknowledge SMS confirming you now have 5GB of data, valid for 1 month.
5. Now you can connect to the Internet.
NOTE: You can connect upto 5 wireless-enabled devices such as Phones, Tablets, Laptops, iPad, PSPs and other WiFi-enabled devices.
I hope this can help you alot. If you like this, share it with your friends on facebook and twitter – they will appreciate it.
If You're a Man Above 25 Years this Article is For You