At one time or the order every tribe, culture and society has it own way and manner of doing things. In Nigeria, a Hausa man ways, culture and tradition is different from a Yoruba, Igbo man via versa for each tribe. Even down to the type of food, manner and method of cooking. Every tribe as a special kind of food and soup delicacy which is so great to them, they can never enjoy and any type food served them better than theirs.
But this article will only be focusing on people from the eastern part of the country i.e. the Igbo’s. The Igbo holds bitter leaf soup (Ofe Onugbu) with high esteem. In short, if you have an Igbo friend visiting you, I recommend you cook this type of soup for him/her. When you do so, you will never lose such a friend. Let’s get started.
1. Washed and squeezed fresh bitter leaf = 3 handful .
2. Palm oil = 3 cooking spoon.
3. Meat. It can be bush meat or goat. But we will be using goat.
4. Stock fish.
5. Dry smoke fish.
6. Cocoyam = 8 small corms.
9. Cray fish.
10. Maggi cube = 3 cube.
11. Ogbeh or ogir
Direction on how to prepare the bitter leaf and Cocoyam.
1. Wash the bitter leaf and squeeze with you hand in a bowl with good amount of water in it. Keep washing until the bitterness in it has gone. You can achieve this by changing the water often and washing till you are sure its bitterness has diminished. Drain the water in it and keep aside. If you don’t want to pass through the process of this washing you can equally get it from the market but note, the ones from market are not always prepared well. You just have to boil it for ten minute and wash with cool water.
Peel the Cocoyam to be used. Wash, put it in a pot, add some water and set it on the stove. Cover it and leave to cook. After it’s done, wash your mortar and pestle and pour in the cooked Cocoyam and pound to smooth paste. Then set it aside and cover it.
Direction of Cooking
– Set the pot on the stove and add in some water.
– Pour in the Cow trip, dry fish, stock fish and cover it. Cook till it softens.
– Now add the goat meat and three cubes of Maggi. Leave to cook for about 5 minute.
– After the 5 minute, add the Cray fish, pepper, ogbeh or locust bean, and salt to taste.
– Add the cocoyam paste in small small lumps.
– Add your washed bitter leaf. And your palm oil.
After you have added all the ingredient, cover it and leave to cook till the cocoyam lumps have dissolved. Make sure its heating is moderate to avoid getting burnt.
Congratulations people, our bitter leaf soup is ready. You can serve with Apku or fufu, pounded yam or eba… Enjoy as you go on a journey that will gladden your system better. When you taste this, it will remain ever green in your memory.
If You're a Man Above 25 Years this Article is For You