Getting a strong CV ready is an important part of the job searching process. Good Curriculum Vitae is essential when looking for work, especially when there are many candidates for the same position. Your objective is to get to an interview, Your CV needs to make you stand out from the crowd and ensure you get to that stage.
Your CV and cover letter are your chance to show an employer the best of what you’ve got and who you are. It’s about selling your skills and experience, and showing them you’re the right person for the job. It should make it easy for employers to appraise your key skills and work experience to determine whether you’re appropriate for the role.
How you write your CV and cover letter is up to you, but there are some basic rules to follow if you want to create the best impression. Opinions vary as to the best template or format to use; there is no definitive answer. It will depend on a number of factors including the stage of your career, the type of position you are applying for, the country you are applying to work in and each sector may require a different emphasis on a particular aspect of the content, such as career history or qualifications.
Don’t assume that one CV will fit all applications, it needs to be a very targeted document for the role you are going for. Many people have several CV’s, if they have worked in several sectors. They may have a general one, and different one designed to appeal to a certain sector, such as sales. There are some basic rules on how a CV should be written, let me show you guys some.
1. A CV should be neat and typed if possible.
2. It should also be concise, usually no more than two sides of A4 paper.
3. A straightforward font and formatting is required – and the spelling must be checked. Poor spelling is the quickest way of getting a rejection.
4. It should be positive, stressing achievements and strengths, and make a good impression in a clear and positive way.
Check five or six adverts for the type of job you are applying for and then use the common requirements to mold your CV. The more information you have about the job role, duties and responsibilities, the better you can tailor your CV. So if you can get hold of a job description, go through it carefully, and highlight in your CV wherever you can demonstrate that you meet the specification.
Things You Need to Make Up a Good CV
1. Personal details, including name, phone number, email address and possibly any professional social media presence. You no longer need to include your date of birth, owing to age discrimination rules.
2. A personal profile which sells yourself and your qualities, tailored towards the job you are applying for.
3. Significant achievements, if appropriate. If you have an established career, you should next list your significant achievements that are relevant. This is an opportunity to quantify your achievements. For example – “I grew sales by 20% per annum”, “I produced above target reduction in overheads”, “I cultivated relationships with existing clients achieving a 30% increase in repeat business”.
- Career history, starting with your most recent job first. Include dates and temporary or voluntary jobs if appropriate
- Qualifications and training, both academic and from previous jobs, with the most recent first.
- Interests, if they are relevant and especially if the skills are relevant for the job
- Any extra information, such as reasons for a career change or reasons for gaps in career history, such as caring duties or schooling
- References, ideally two or more and including a recent employer
Okay, there you have it. I believe after reading my post you will be able to write a good-looking, acceptable CV.
NOTE: Before each job application, review your CV against the job specification and make sure that it highlights that you’re the right match for the job.
I will give more info on how to write a good CV in the next post (Part 2). If you have any comment, feedback or question, feel free to use the comment form below.
Do you get an unsatisfied response from your wife after making love? Discover a great natural solution that changed my story and put an end to weak erection and premature ejaculation permanently. Click here.
How I totally got rid of my pot belly, excess fat and overweight in just 9 days. Click here for details.
After four years, I finally got over infertility with this natural solution. Click here to find out.
How I recovered from high blood pressure without chemical. Click here to read my story.
How I increased my blokos size & last 40mins+ in bed every night with a natural solution. Click here for details.
AMAZING! How this business makes me over 800k monthly partnering with Facebook & a foreign company. Click here to download FREE report now.
LATEST DISCOVERY! How to reverse Type II Diabetes in few weeks completely with this natural solution. No side effect. Click here.
Own a property at Ibeju-Lekki - the fastest developing area in Lagos State for as low as N1.5 million.